Penrith, CA11 8SG
This day of talks is perfect for professionals and well-informed home owners/self-builders. You'll hear from experts in low-energy buildings, and learn what techniques and materials are appropriate for low-energy new-builds, retrofits and extensions.
Green Building Store will give a talk on 'Approaches to low-energy building inspired by Passivhaus', which will cover:
• Introduction to Passivhaus methodology & standard
• Specification required to achieve Passivhaus certification
• High perfromance windows & doors: Passivhaus requirements and importance of installation detailing
• Airtightness products & techniques needed to achieve Passivhaus requirements
• MVHR: how to ensure optimal performance
Ecological Building Systems will be represented with a talk on' Airtightness & Insulation Principles within Passive House Buildings', which will include:
• Fabric-first approach to achieve high levels of comfort and health, using natural renewable materials with a significantly reduced carbon footprint
• Consequences of a lack of airtightness and common failure areas
• Moisture management and intelligent membranes
• How to implement an airtightness strategy from the design stage to the final test on site
• Some INTELLIGENT solutions for achieving airtightness including on-site details
• Passive EcoWall examples offering a proven combination of natural materials and high-performance airtightness solutions, which may be applied in timber-frame construction or conventional masonry construction
Eden Insulation will describe their building process using timber-frame construction, and prefabricated, highly insulated panels that can be assembled on site - sometimes within a day! Stephen Gurney will outline some local case study projects that Eden Insulation have been involved with.
Miller Clear Architects will give a talk on green extensions. Partners Laura Miller and Simon Blunden will discuss the common issues involved with the sustainable upgrade and extension of existing buildings and houses. This type of project is becoming more common as clients' ambitions to reduce energy consumption and tread more lightly on the earth increases. The talk will include:
- Low-cost basic interventions;
- More comprehensive elaborate solutions; and
- Case studies of previous and ongoing projects, to explain what they have learned through on-site experience and consultation with specialists in collaboration with clients.
There will be an opportunity to ask questions of all the speakers, and see their exhibits and products.
Refreshments and a light lunch will be provided.
Green Building Store
Green Building Store offers a wide range of products for low-energy building, as well as a range of consultancy and building services. They're a small specialist company with over 20 years’ experience of working on low-energy homes and buildings.
Miller Clear Architects LLP
Miller Clear Architects LLP is a local Cumbrian practice with a particular interest in developing pragmatic and design-led approaches to sustainable building that is accessible to a greater number of people who want to develop their homes.
Thank you to these organisations, who are supporting this year's Cumbria Green Build Festival in various ways!